Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Assassination Vacation Blog Post


            Sally and Ben were both in high school—God bless ‘em, they weren’t as rowdy as the children of my other friends—and I decided I’d treat them to a fun spring break trip. Well, at least “fun” in my eyes. Sally was in 10th grade and Ben in 11th, so they weren’t that far apart in school. Sometimes I laughed about Ben’s paired obsessions. He was one of the best players on the football team and from the gossip I heard from other mothers, it seemed that all the young women at the school lusted after him. Yet instead of going on dates on the weekends or treating one lucky lady to a soda pop, Ben would spend hours in our backyard conducting science experiments. Secretly, I was proud that I had raised a true nerd at heart. Football might get him a scholarship to college, but it wouldn’t keep him afloat in the real world forever. Science, on the other hand, might.
            Sally was different, bookish. She reminded me of myself in the few years that I had been able to attend high school. Her stack of library books was tall, and she was even inspiring me to check out a few lower-level reading books from the local library to brush up on my (almost non-existent) reading skills. Sally and I would read together most evenings on the couch, and she was often throwing out random historical facts. She was taking a class on “U.S. Presidents” and I figured I’d combine her interests with my desire to take the kids to Chicago. There were so many things about the Windy City that I loved, and I hadn’t been there in God knows how long. I figured I’d pair my lust for the city with Sally’s lust to visit the hometown and grave of her self-proclaimed “favorite” president, Abraham Lincoln.
            I was tempted to do a cross-country road trip and really show the kids what traveling was like but at the last moment I decided to book plane tickets. A couple days in the car with Sally and Ben and just me sounded like a lot the more I thought about it. Anyway, on the first Monday for spring break we set out for Chicago. The Windy City was a blur. It was COLD – it was only March – and I don’t think I had really packed for the kids enough. They seemed to be shivering the entire time and I ended up buying more sweaters, beanies, and scarves than I had planned on purchasing. Damn. My spending money felt like it was being ripped out of my pocket every day. We rented a cheap, beat-up car and drove to Springfield early one morning the day before we were set to fly back to California. The air was cool and crisp, and I could see my breath outside as well as inside the car. So much for that “fabulous heating system” the car rental place had jacked up the price for.
            We drove to Lincoln’s grave first. And I’ll admit, I was spooked. Who would come to a grave? Why? What was the appeal. It was also still early morning and mist hung in the air. I would’ve opted to stay in the car but I couldn’t very well let Sally wander all over the place by herself. Ben refused to come, bundled up in his coat and half asleep, and I didn’t have the energy to wake him and drag him out to this godforsaken monument.  As Sally and I walked towards the grave, we spotted another woman in the distance. She was bent over the inscription on Lincoln’s grave, and seemed to be tracing it with her hands. When she spotted us she bolted upright and made a beeline for my daughter, who was a few paces ahead of me. I quickly sped up, wondering what this woman wanted with us.
            “Have YOU been here before?” She asked eagerly. Too eagerly.
            Sally’s face lit up with excitement: “no, no I haven’t. This is my first time and I can hardly believe my eyes. Lincoln was my favorite president.”
            The woman’s eyes shown with admiration at my passionate teenage daughter.
            “That, my dear, is the best thing I’ve ever heard.” She introduced herself briefly to me, and before I could even choke out my last name had linked arms with my only daughter and was strolling towards the moment, explaining this and that, and, I’m sure, filling her head with crazy stories that were either complete lies or complete truth. Who knew?

            All I knew was that this woman didn’t seem weird. Maybe she had a personal connection to Lincoln? Maybe she lived around here. Maybe this was a regular thing she did? Hell, I didn’t even know maybe she was a goddamn docent or tour guide or whatever they called tour guides of goddamn cemeteries. I set off at a casual walk behind them, not ready to be immersed in an in-depth conversation about Lincoln’s grave – I didn’t really give a shit—but I wasn’t about to let my daughter walk off with some completely random women.

No comments:

Post a Comment