Monday, December 4, 2017

Wild BP

A pang of relief ran through me as I approached my destination. I had been pulled over several states back, or so I thought. Anyhow, it was an agonizing experience. One I never hoped to repeat. For a moment, I was certain I would not reach San Francisco. Instead, I would be committed for the crime of grand theft auto.

The police lights flared, its siren sounding. My eyes darted to the rearview mirror instantaneously. When I had determined that it was me who was to pull over, it felt as though my heart rate sped to an almost immeasurable pace. I maneuvered the wheel and slowed gradually. I sat stiffly, facial expression stoic so as to not reveal my culpability. While my hands quivered uncontrollably, my foot pressed firmly to the brake although I was in park. My underarms and hairline moistened with sweat. I experienced shortness of breath, but suppressed that as it would unequivocally concern the officer and prompt further questioning. 

I blacked out momentarily... ZOOM! I returned to consciousness to witness the police car speed by. Not once glancing in my direction. Turns out, I was simply in the way. Of course! It was a single lane street. How could I be so thoughtless? There was no point to my panic.

I took several deep breaths and surveyed my surroundings. I saw woods. Tranquil woods with a perimeter of magnificently tall, unwavering Sequoias. I opened my car door, seemingly drawn to the vast collection of trees. I walked slowly towards the outer edge. I craved solitude and that delightful feeling when in the wilderness. 

So, I’d walk into the wild, straying from my route. Unlike Chris McCandless, however, I’d walk out. But first, I needed a moment to myself, for myself. I pressed onwards. Eventually, when I deemed it right, I would return to my silver Volkswagen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment